We’ve received many emails and YouTube comment about how to access the PS3 recovery menu, so we though we would write up a detailed walk-through to help you out. The PS3 recovery menu is available on firmware 2.50+ and allows you to preform various operations on your PS3, including restore factory settings and reinstall firmware. You can read our original coverage on the PS3 Recovery Menu (including video) too.
PS3 Recovery menu features
- Restart system – reboots system to XMB.
- Restore default settings – resets all system setting to the default factory values. Does not delete data.
- Restore file system – checks for corrupt/missing system files.
- Rebuild database – rebuilds the PS3 OS. Does not delete data.
- Restore PS3 system – resets entire PS3. Deletes all data and resets settings to factory defaults.
- System update – updates the firmware on the Ps3.
- Turn off the PlayStation 3 and leave it on stand-by
- Hold down the power button. You will here one beep as you touch the button and another a few seconds later. The PS3 should turn itself off again.
- Hold down the power button down once again. You will here a beep as you touch followed by another single beep a few seconds later.
- Take you finger off the power button when you hear last more two beeps In quick succession).
- You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB.
- Press the PS button and you should see the recovery menu.