The December issue of GameInformer has revealed new details for upcoming open-world title Grand Theft Auto V. The cover story reveals lots of details about the game, such as the game having three protagonists, and the player can switch between any of them at any time. In addition, the 2nd trailer will be releasing on November 14th 2012.
A summary of the information (courtesy of GodisaGeek) is included below:
- As revealed earlier, GTA V will feature three protagonists. However, their individual stories won’t be told in linear fashion. The player can switch between any of the characters at any one time. When the player isn’t controlling a character, they go about their lives.
- Core gameplay mechanics are said to be tighter. Houser states that the driving feels better and being behind the wheel feels like a driving game. Shooting has apparently “evolved” and melee combat is “better than we’ve had in the past”.
- Los Santos will be the biggest world we’ve ever seen in a Rockstar game. It has been described as “bigger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA IV, combined” by the game’s art director Aaron Garbut. There are a lot of different environments within the game, by the sounds of it, similar to San Andreas’ switch between countryside and city.
- Along with being the largest area, Grand Theft Auto V will give players a lot of choice in terms of vehicles. Cars, trucks, motorbikes, dirt bikes, BMX bikes, mountain bikes, quad bikes, jet skis, planes and helicopters are all modes of transport.
- The three lead characters are named; Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Michael – who was the voice in the first trailer – is in his early 40s and has retired from robbing banks as he has cut a deal with the FIB. He has a son, daughter and a wife – who he hates. Trevor is a war vet and a drug user. Also in his 40s, Trevor used to work with Michael, but hasn’t settled down like Michael has. He appears in a desert area along with other drug users and social outcasts. Franklin is a 20-something-year old and works in a car dealership. He crosses paths with Michael in the game, initially. The game will contain missions where the three characters are involved and the player can switch between them.
- Some characters from GTA games in this console generation will appear in Grand Theft Auto V, but no older characters will appear.
- Rockstar has confirmed that there will be no sign of any Hollywood talent such as Ray Liotta, Samuel L. Jackson, or any of the other big names that appeared in previous games.
- The theme of the game is said to be about the “contemporary culture of LA”.
- Side missions are prevalent in the world and some are based around tennis, yoga, triathlons, base-jumping, jet skiing and golf – there is a full 18 hole course in Los Santos. Characters can go scuba diving and they can also go to the gym. However, the getting fat/muscler mechanic from San Andreas doesn’t return. Players can change characters’ clothes.
- There are no romances in the game a la Grand Theft Auto IV, but each character will be able to befriend certain people in the game world.
- There is said to be “vibrant and fun” economy, but players won’t be able to buy any properties.