PS4 Firmware 8.50 has left the open beta phase and has been released to the public, marking the end of Communities on the console. The update is available to download now, and includes a number of privacy improvements and other features, including Share Play with PS5 owners.
In line with the major PS5 update also released today, PS4 players can now Share Play with PS5 owners, allowing players to view PS5 games and also take part using their PS4. You can check out the release notes for the update below.
PS4 Firmware v8.50 Release Notes
Main features in the system software update
- In (Party), you can now enjoy Share Play with players on PS5.
- In (Messages), you can now turn notifications on or off for each of the groups you’re in. On the group screen, open the options menu and select [Turn Notifications Off].
Other updated features
- On the game session details screen, you can now use the [Request to Join] button to ask the session leader to join their game session. The session leader can then send you an invite to join the game session.
- When playing a game you’ve hidden, other players will no longer see that you’re currently playing that game.
- We’ve updated the file format for extended storage.
- When you connect an extended storage device, its file format will be updated.
- After that, you won’t be able to use the device on a PS4 that has a previous version of the system software.
- (Communities) is no longer available.
How do download ps4 update
You can download using your PS4. Go to Settings > System Update.
where the hell can i download this file, this 8.50 update. i though it was hosted by play station and now i cant find it. i need it to swap my hard drive.
Update 8.50 has been superseded by 9.00, so you won’t be able to download this version anymore.