PS5 will support a number of audio formats, including Dolby Digital and Dolby TrueHD. The PS5 does not, however, support Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision, which will be disappointment to gamers. Sony has clarified that Dolby Atmos is available for Blu-ray movies.
The official list of supported audio formats are as follows:
- Dolby Digital (max 5.1ch)
- Dolby Digital Plus (max 7.1ch)
- Dolby TrueHD (max 7.1ch)
- DTS (max 5.1ch)
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (max 7.1ch)
- DTS-HD Master Audio (max 7.1ch)
- AAC (max 5.1ch)
- Linear PCM (max 7.1ch)
- Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X available for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray disc video (when connected to a supported device)
It’s unclear whether Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision support will be added to PS5 games in a future update. For the moment, it looks like Xbox Series X|S will be the only consoles to feature these output formats.
Article has been updated to reflect clarification from Sony about support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for Blu-ray movies.