Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will be releasing on the PS4, Xbox One and PC on 13th November 2020, but will also be coming to next-gen consoles when they are released. However, those hoping to upgrade from the PS4 to the PS5 versions will need to purchase a compatible bundle.
Unfortunately, the upgrade path between the generations isn’t as clear cut as some of the other games. There are three digital editions of the game, with two of the editions allowing for free cross-gen upgrades, while the physical editions are a little more complex.
Black Ops Cold War Digital Editions
- Standard Digital Edition – $59.99 / £59.99 / €69.99 – PS4, XBO – This can be upgraded to the Digital Cross-Gen Edition for $10.
- Digital Cross-Gen Edition – $69.99 / £64.99 / €74.99 – PS4 and PS5, XBO and XSX – Includes dual licenses, i.e. PS4 version can be upgraded to PS5 version.
- Ultimate Edition – $89.99 / £89.99 / €99.99 – PS4 and PS5, XBO and XSX – Includes dual licenses (as with Digital Cross-Gen edition above), in addition to “Land, Sea, and Air Pack”, and the Battle Pass Bundle.
For the moment, it appears that there are no Standard Digital Editions for PS5 or Xbox Series X, but that may change once the game and next-gen consoles release.
Black Ops Cold War Physical Editions
- Standard Physical Edition (PS4) – $59.99 – PS4 – Can be upgraded to PS5 via PlayStation Store (digital download), or playable on PS5 via backwards compatibility without next-gen features.
- Standard Physical Edition (XBO) – $59.99 – XBO – Cannot be upgraded to next-gen.
- Standard Physical Edition (PS5) – $69.99 – PS5 – No compatibility with PS4.
- Standard Physical Edition (XSX) – $69.99 – XSX, XBO – Includes an Xbox Series X disc that is also playable on an Xbox One.
The physical editions are a bit more complex, with the PS4 version allowing upgrade to the PS5 via digital download. The PS4 version will also be playable on the PS5 using backwards compatibility, but you won’t get any of the next-gen features. The Xbox One version won’t be upgradable to the Series X version.