With E3 just around the corner, Sony has announced yet another new title for the PlayStation 3: MotorStorm Apocalypse. In the same way that the first MotorStorm was set in Monument Valley, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift was set on ‘The Island’, inspired by Hawaii and other Pacific islands, we’ve set this MotorStorm in ‘The City’, inspired by the West Coast of America, and, in particular, the Bay Area of California.
But don’t think this title is urban racing – this is Brutal Urban Off-Road Racing. The city has been abandoned and somewhat damaged after a tremor. When the ‘Stormers find this out, they head straight in. Pretty soon, two things become clear: it isn’t completely empty and Mother Nature isn’t done yet!
Throughout the game the city will be ripped to pieces, in real-time, as you race. Routes will be affected, as will the emergent gameplay.
Buggies using collapsing walls as half-pipes. Big Rigs on the rooftops of skyscrapers as they collapse. Superbikes gunning into the basements of enormous rifts. Supercars flicking on their headlights to barrel through the subways and sewers. Multi-vehicle pile ups on giant bridges as they buckle and twist. Driving through someone’s office and smashing up their desks. It’s all there.
The title features:
- Sixteen player online multiplayer.
- Four player split-screen.
- Combinations of the two. Play with three friends in the living room against 12 more online.
- Massive vehicle customisation. Change vinyls, vehicle parts, vehicle shapes and more. Upload them to the community site and share them with others. They automatically work on all vehicle types, and include your PSN ID.
- Vehicle perks. Modify your handling, boosting and offensive abilities as you unlock new perks.
- A wealth of rankings to progess through online with associated rewards and recognition.
- Stacks of online rewards to earn and persistent progress giving the most determined and successful racers the status and recognition they deserve.
- Persistent matchmaking. Keep your party together throughout your gaming session.
- A Game Mode Creator. From a completely blank canvas you can design your own game rules and victory conditions, play them online, and incorporate them into tournaments.