Yellow Dog Linux is one of several Linux distributions compatible with the PlayStation, however, YDL 5.0 also happens to be one of the best. Other distributions include Fedora Core and Ubuntu, but YDL offers greater compatibility than the rest. Installing YDL is simple as well, follow the instructions below:
Before installing YDL, there a few things that you will need:
- YDL 5.0 (or above) on DVD (PS3 Version)
- HD TV capable of supporting 720p display
Before you can begin to install YDL, your PS3 system needs to be setup. There are three steps that need to be preformed before you can begin installation: Partitioning the hard disk, Installing the OtherOS loader and changing the default boot setting. Each stage is broken down.
- Backup any data on the PS3 before continuing. This can be done from:
Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility > “Back Up”.
- After backing up data, select the “Format Utility” from the “System Settings” menu
- Select the “Format Hard Disk” option and select “Yes” for Disk Format.
- Select “Yes” on the “Are you sure…” screen
- Select the “Custom” format option and then select the “Allot 10GB to the Other OS” option.
- The disk will then start to format.
- Select “Quick Format” if you want to format the drive quickly. Some of the deleted data may be recoverable.
- Select “Full Format” to remove all data permanently. Use this option of you have sensitive data on the hard drive.
- Do not turn off the system during for formatting – your system software could be destroyed.
- Once formatting is complete, press “X” to restart the system.
Install Other OS
- Insert the YDL DVD into the PS3.
- You can install the otheros from the settings menu by going to:
Settings > System Settings > “Install Other OS”
- The PS3 should find the required file on the YDL DVD.
- Select “OK” to install the files
- You may be prompted to connect the USB cable to the Controller
- A licence Agreement may be displayed. Click “Accept” to continue with installation
- Once the installation is complete, exit from the “Install Other OS” screen.
Set the Default Boot to Other OS
Before changing the default boot setting, it is important that you are using a HDTV supporting 720i resolution, since YDL uses 720i. Please also make sure that the YDL DVD is inserted into the PS3 since it will be needed when you reboot the PS3.
- From the Settings Menu, go to the “Default System” option.
- Set the “Default System” to “Other OS” and click “OK” to boot into the Other OS.
If the Other OS files were installed correctly, you should see a bunch of text appear on the screen. This means that everything is working. YDL should start installing soon after and the process is relatively simple. YDL uses a graphical interface to install Linux onto your PS3, so all you need to do is follow the instructions. The installation process takes over an hour. Once YDL has been installed, the disc should automatically eject and all you need to do then is to reboot into Linux.