It’s official. The PS3 was lauched last night in Japan and as promised by Sony, Firmware Update 1.10 was also available. Although the PSP to PS3 connectivity is not yet available, since firmware 3.00 for the PSP has not been released just yet, there are still a number of good developments to report about regarding the PS3. Firmware Update 1.10 was released by Sony with several improvements to the System Software, and furthermore, the US version of the update is also available a week in advance before the US release of the PS3.
Here is a summary of the changes in the PS3 firmware update:
Whole (overall system changes)
- PLAYSTATION Network can be accessed
- European keyboard support added
- Music CD volume setting added
- ATRAC settings added
- Keyboard selection setting added
- Color filter settings was added to display setting
- Screensaver option was updated to include option ‘5 Minutes Later’
- Full Screen mode added for video playback from Hard Disk
- Downloading music and the video files with Internet browser are stored on Hard Disk
- PLAYSTATION Store – The following contents can be downloaded.
- PLAYSTATION 3 standard software
- PSP with the PlayStation standard software which operates (PSP system software version 3.00 or more is necessary)
- Chinese and simplified Chinese language support for Internet browser added
- The online manual was added
- Calculation method of hard disk capacity was modified
In order to update to the latest version, simply use the System Update feature from the Settings Menu. A Internet connection and 110MB of free space is required. Alternatively, you can download the update to your PC from the PlayStation website (a file called “PS3UPDAT.PUP”) and copy it to the “X:/PS3/UPDATE”; folder of your console.
It is reported the the PS3 also supports Homebrew. Although no applications have been developed yet, Sony has created an official site about Open-Platform for PS3. The site is under construction, but they state that “;PLAYSTATION 3 allows any desired third-party system software to be installed on it besides its system software provided by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Details will be posted on this site soon.” We have no idea if Sony will release a SDK to assist in developement and if this feature actually provides full access to the PS3’s hardware features for virtually endless possibilities.
It has come to out attention that PSP Firmware 3.00 will include the PS1 emulator. But for the time being, you must own a PS3 in order to download games. This is only until Sony make it possible to download games using your PSP or PC. No time frame was given as to when this will occur. The PS1 games will only work on the PSP until emulation support is added to the PS3, and the Japanese PlayStation Store already has a selection of PS1 games available to download.
[PlayStation Store (JAP)]