Ahman’s iR Shell application has definitely become a household name to most PSP owners because of the usefullness and preacticality of its features. The previous version already packs a punch, with the loads of updates great Ahman has equipped v. 1.6 with, it’s a certified knockout.
This time, aside from allowing us to listen to MP3s while playing games, iR Shell 1.6 enables our PSPs to stream any files via WiFi or USB to any of our fave homebrews. Straight from Ahaman himself:
"Imagine having your whole mp3, movie & photo database on your PC and stream them real time to your PSP via WiFi or USB for unlimited storage and enjoyment. You don’t like to convert your movies to PMP format? How about streaming your MP4 movies to Sony’s XMB movie player? Having too much fun and can’t stop playing your PSP? Well, you can setup an alarm to remind you stop playing. Your favorite shell now gives you all these features at your fingertip, plus a lot more."
Now I’m sure every single PSPanatic out there is barely able to understand/read all the text (heck, I won’t be surprised if you miss reading this line) out of sheer anticipation of what these new features really are, so here they are:
- You can now browse your PC harddisk, DVDROM or any other PC storage devices from your PSP via infrastructure WiFi or USB connection and stream files to your homebrew applications. You can even install PSP homebrews on your PC harddisk and launch them on your PSP, just like a huge virtual Memory Stick. 200GB memory stick is now a reality!
- You can open files directly with a single click via iR Shell file browser, such as PMP movies, PMF movies, Atrac3s, mp3s, photos, text files, PDF files, ZIPs, RARs, etc. These files can reside on your Memory Stick or even on your PC storage device.
- Launching XMB within iR Shell which allows you to use all features of XMB, plus taking snapshot of it or UMD Video.
- Alarm clock to remind you important appointments.
- Low battery voice warning to remind you to recharge your battery before it drys up.
You may be getting dizzy after such an overwhelming line of updates, but there are more, lots more. Just check the readme file for full details.
As great as a developer Ahman is, he also recognizes that he can’t achieve this feat alone, so he wishes to thank the following: Tyranid for making usbhostfs for PSPLINK; Dark Alex for making nethostfs; AnonymousTipster for developing the ZIP & RAR Unarchiver Plugin for iR Shell; StoneCut for being my favorite beta tester; Skydew for providing the new Help image files; Triable for making various nice graphics for iR Shell; Rangedunits for supplying a free hosting service; all original plugin authors; and of course, all iR Shell beta testers for providing valuable suggestions & counterless hours of testing.
how do u get ir shell on your psp