Attempted by many titles in the past, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes has been said to have zero load times when navigating areas in the open-world areas. Unlike GTA IV, the game won’t have a massive open world space, but smaller open-world areas that make up the larger world.
Apparently, the only area of the game where will see loading screens is when players are transported from one open world area to another. The game is also said to have a concept of time, but it’s currently unclear what this means. It could be that playing the game at night will mean everything in the game is also set at night.
Here is a breakdown from gematsu:
- Loading is always done in the background, so it’s basically an open world where loading screens do not exist.
- The exception to this is when you travel by helicopter—there a loading screen will be inserted.
- There will be many Grand Theft Auto-style open worlds, and these are connected by helicopter.
- The video that has been released is of the prologue stage, so it’s a small open world. There are bigger ones.
- The game has a concept of time, so it varies from morning to afternoon, and then to night in real time.
- Before using the FOX Engine on other titles going forward, they want to create the standard with open worlds.