PlayTV is set to get a massive update before the end of the year, as mentioned by Andy House at gamescom last week. The update will be available to all existing and new customers later in the year, and will include enhanced social features, better programme guide and more. Check out that the update has in store for you below.
Now, check out the new features that will be coming to all current and new PlayTV owners, later in the year.
- Play TV is going to become an interactive experience with the great new ‘Chat TV’ feature. Text chat with friends and other PlayStation Network users while watching live TV, and without interrupting your viewing. This feature is a great way of interacting with friends while you watch TV, and especially great during the football as you can banter with your mates without taking your eyes off the action.
- The next new feature for PlayTV is a new premium programme guide (from ‘tvtv’) that lets you Plan your TV viewing 7 days in advance. You can also find tonnes of information on programmes and movies, as well as discovering new things to watch by searching TV listings by genre, actors, directors, producers and more. (standard PlayTV programme guide in Australia)
- You will also be glad to hear that PlayTV will be getting the much awaited feature in the UK, Series Link. Never miss an episode of your favourite series again. (Only available in the UK)
- Following on from the community theme of the new PlayTV features, you will be able to send recommendations for your favourite shows to your Facebook wall and also any of your PSN friends. People will be able to comment on your Facebook recommendations or even set a recording for the show directly from the PSN recommendation.
- The final new feature coming to PlayTV is designed to give you some added inspiration with ‘Community Favourites’. This feature lets you see what your friends and the PSN Community are watching and enjoying. So if you’re ever stuck for something to watch then just check out what everyone else is watching. (Not available in Australia)
I want this but then I wonder why.. I have My Star HD. So I dont really need play tv. Haha
The PlayTV 2 update is a complete rip off. Don’t do it. A line needs to drawn or else these blood sucking corporations will start charging for every update. The only reason people have paid the redonkulous £6.29 fee is to get series link, (which should have been a day one feature in the first place!)
2 years of waiting for series link .. a feature even a budget PVR bought in Tesco has ..and Sony bundle it with unwanted social features to justify charging us for it. Sony can KMA…
Still considering paying Sony for this update? Then read some of comments on PSN product manager James Thorpe’s Blog
Sony r the new Apple. Charging for updates that should be FREE. Sony hang ur head in shame. What next? Charging for bug fixes and patches?
links to more reactions
I agree. This update should have been free for all PlayTV users. What makes it worse is that the update isn’t even stable. The new software update crashed my console twice in the space of an hour.