So far, Sony has not confirmed what will be included in PlayStation 3 Firmware 2.40 so any information related to this firmware update is just speculation and wishful thinking. Since our last post on Firmware 2.40 features, a number of new speculated features have surfaced, this includes almost complete access to the XMB while in-game. This means you will be able to play music while in the middle of a game, in addition to messaging buddies and changing various settings. See an updated list of speculated features below, as well as a video of in-game XMB taken from a debug PS3 machine.
Updated feature list:
- Access XMB in-game (including messaging, videos, music, photos, settings, network menu)
- 2D trophies from the XMB (supported titles only)
- Video coding and groundwork for the Movie Store
- Video/Image capture support (take videos and screenshots of gameplay)
- Time and Date on XMB (like PSP)
- PSN Store search feature
- Multiple PSN logins for multiplayer games
Most of these feature are speculation only so don’t get your hopes up until there is an official announcement from Sony, usually on the PlayStation Blog. The release date for Firmware 2.40 has not been set yet, though it is rumored to arrive towards the end of June or beginning of July.
In-game XMB Preview:
The in-game XMB in the video looks fantastic.
when is it out for flip sake
Rumored to be out tomorrow. Most likely in late July!