A new update for the Folding@Home client on the PlayStation 3 will become available to download shortly according to a blog post over at the PlayStation.Blog. The update will add several new features to Folding@Home for the PlayStation 3 including an Auto Shutdown feature to turn off your console after the current folding operations have completed or after a fixed amount of time. In addition, there is a new music playback option has been added. Check out the features below.
- Go to Settings menu, select Automatic Shutdown and then After Current. You will see a little clock appearing on the top right hand corner of the screen. When this clock reaches zero, the machine will power off completely so you can sleep quietly through the night. In this option the machine will power off after sending the data back to Stanford University so your contribution to the project is maximized.
- You may also choose to shut down after a limited period of time (for example, 3 or 4 hours). To do that choose the Automatic Shutdown option and click on the “In 01h:00m” timer. You will now be able to change the timer settings. After rotating the timer to a new time, you should now see your selected timer appear at the top right corner of the screen. This timer will count all the way down to 0 and then power off the system.
- To disable active timer at any time, go to Settings, choose Automatic Shutdown and then Disable.
- To activate the music player select Music and then a channel. The channels are automatically populated with songs you have stored on your Hard Disk Drive! For holiday music I prefer to choose Dramatic (yeah!) and voila – music is playing.
- If you wish to skip to another track, just use a combination of X + left or right arrow. You can also change the channel by choosing X + up or down arrow. Happy listening!
- To stop music from playing, select Music again from the main menu and choose “disable.”
- Your music playback selection will be saved between consecutive runs of Folding@home.
Once the update is available, you can update your client by selecting the Folding@Home icon from the XMB. You will then be prompted to update your sofware.