The Metal Gear Online beta started today in Japan. The beta runs from August 20th 2007 to September 3rd 2007, with only 3000 players taking part. Beta registration closed on August 6th 2007, so if you didn’t get in then its too late. Only two maps are available to play in the beta. Look out for details on the beta throughtout the beta trial, for now, see below for some juicy details discovered so far.
- Different lobbies, each named after a MGS character; Snake, Otacon, Liquid etc.
- First-Person mode can be accessed by pressing L1 + Triangle
- There are only two maps in the beta. One looks like the arctic and the other is something like the middle east that we see in the trailers and gameplay footage.
- Voice chat is supported as well as typing. To bring up chat window, press left or right on the D-Pad.
- To change to the position on your back once laying down is triangle, tapping triangle and holding the analogue stick in whatever direction will allow you to roll in that direction.
- No slow down, solid frame rate.
- The camera control can be customized in the options menu. You can invert etc and if you so wish, have it player controlled entirely.
- The visuals are ‘nice’ but they seem to be a bit unpolished, character models are very detailed.
- Character customization options: you can alter how fast you run, skill with certain weapons and whatnot.
- No ‘hacking’ ability yet.
- X – Crouch > Crawl positions (while running: diving roll)
- O – Reload
- Triangle – Standing: salute, Crouching: point remote
- Square – Toggle Auto-Aim
- Left and Right: Toggle chat window
- Analogue Stick: Left – move character, Right – move camera
- R3: Toggle over shoulder view in aim mode from left to right.
- R1 – Rire
- R2 – Secondary fire while in aim or toggle weapon menu
- L1 – Aim
- L2 – Toggle item mini menu
[Via: Gamers Creed]