Some information about the upcoming PlayStation firmware update has emerged on the Internet. However, since the information is unconfirmed by Sony, this article falls under the rumors category. A blog entry over at The Video Game Report reveals a number of features the PS3 Firmware 2.00 is likely to have. The information on firmware 2.00 has been collected from a number of message boards and not from an official Sony source.
- Firmware 2.00 will have updated version of the built-in internet browser, including updated flash player functionality
- Firmware 2.00 will be available in 2 different packages – one containing Home, and one without it. This results in the Home software having it’s own section in the XMB. Current Beta version are downloaded from the store and are booted from the game section of the XMB.
- No in-game XMB access will be included yet.
- Icons for movies/games can now move while other media types are currently being accessed.
- Security is being worked on. You can password protect individual files on your HDD including movies, photos and pictures by pressing triangle to access the options menu.
The above list does seem a little strange, especially point (2) regarding separate packages. Until the list is confirmed by Sony, it is likely that the list is just a prediction. We will post more information on Firmware 2.00 when we get it.