- Precision Zoom: You can automatically enlarge to optimal viewing size the area on the screen where the pointer is located. By analyzing the Web page source, the system automatically calculates the best enlargement ratio based on the area where the pointer is located.
- Adjusting the resolution: You can adjust Web page size for optimal viewing based on the PS3 system’s video output resolution. A setting to reduce flickering of the screen when outputting in interlace mode has also been added.
- You can now use a full-size on-screen keyboard to enter text
- Support for background downloading of data has been added.
- You can now download and use the Folding@home program. Folding@home is a distributed computing project that is run by Stanford University. The goal of the project is to research protein folding mechanisms in the hope that this will lead to medical treatments for related diseases. Using the Folding@home program, you can participate in this project over the Internet. Note that the program must first be downloaded and installed on your PS3 system.
- You can now use the remote play feature from a PSP system via an access point. You can establish a remote play connection with a PS3 system that is not equipped with the wireless LAN feature (20 GB model)
- Support for playback of BD-RE (Blu-ray Disc Rewritable) ver 3.0 has been added.
- The PS3 system can now automatically detect an HDMI connection to a TV. If the PS3 system is turned on with an HDMI cable connected, the screen for switching video output settings will be displayed automatically.
- Does not function unless the TV that is connected by the HDMI cable is turned on.
- If you are already using the HDMI OUT connector, the screen for switching video output settings will not be displayed.
- Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Chinese (Simplified) and Chinese (Traditional) have been added as options in [System Language] under [System Settings].
- You can now select the character set to be used for file names under [System Settings] > [Character Set].
- [Enable WMA Playback] has been added as an option under [System Settings].
- [Disc Auto-Start] has been added as an option under [System Settings].
- You can now restore backed up data to another PS3 system under [System Settings] > [Backup Utility].
- You can now register a keyboard and a mouse under [Accessory Settings] > [Register Bluetooth Device].
- [Remote Play Settings] has been added as an option.
- Support for playback of DSD (Direct Stream Digital) discs has been added. ** These discs are music discs created using SonicStage Mastering Studio Version 2.1 or later or DSD Direct Version 2.0 or later (both Sony products, sold separately).
- Motion JPEG and AVCHD (.m2ts) have been added as playable formats.
- [Download Management] has been added as a feature.
- [Start New Chat]has been added as an option.