Last week, details of PS4 Firmware v2.50 were leaked by beta testers, but this week Sony has released the main feature list for the upcoming firmware. PS4 Firmware v2.50, codenamed “Yukimura”, will finally deliver the Suspend / Resume feature that was promised by Sony prior to the PS4’s launch.
Suspend/Resume will create an atmosphere where your games are immediately available at any time — just pick up your DUALSHOCK 4 controller, hit the PS button and get right back into the action of your games. When it’s time to log off, simply put your PS4 in Rest Mode and when you power up the next time, you’ll start your game where you left off (title dependent). Spend less time getting into your games and more time playing your games.
Here’s a list of other changes you can expect in PS4 Firmware v2.50:
- Sub-account to master account upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more. Currently, users can upgrade their sub-accounts online.
- Facebook friend search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PSN members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.
- Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps: The ability to customise the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with “Yukimura”. Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play.
- Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make the PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colours on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DUALSHOCK 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.
- Trophy Improvements: We have received a tonne of feedback to improve Trophies. In “Yukimura”, a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.
- Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, “Yukimura” will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.
The firmware is “coming soon”, and currently in the beta testing phase. We hope “coming soon” means before the end of March.
This release doesn’t include support for DLNA but from the comments on the PlayStation.Blog, it looks like the feature is being worked on. The backup feature seen in the leaked photos hasn’t been confirmed yet, and Sony has also refused to comment on that feature.
The Suspend / Resume feature required developers to make changes to the game in order for this to work. Sony says that there are “cases where general game architecture prevents jumping back to exactly where you left off. Currently support is widespread. “
The online friend notification that was rumoured back in December 2014 also doesn’t seem to be present in this update.