PS4 Firmware v1.70 is the first major firmware update to hit the console since Firmware v1.50 was released when the PS4 first launched. Sony has listened to gamer feedback and incorporated many requested changes into this update, including dimming of the DualShock 4’s lightbar, and improving the Sharing functionality.
Sony has also made a number of other changes that aren’t mentioned in the official changelog below. You can see what they are here.
- You can now adjust the brightness of the light bar on the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller. [Brightness of DUALSHOCK 4 Light Bar] has been added under [Settings] > [Devices] > [Controllers].
- [Enable HDCP] has been added under [Settings] > [System].
- [Language], [Blu-ray Disc Data Management] and [Allow Internet Connection] have been added under [Video Playback Settings].
- You can now set a screensaver. [Start Screensaver] has been added under [Sound and Screen].
- [Login Settings] and [Initialization] > [Delete User] are now under the newly added [Users].
- [SHAREfactory] has been added to the content area. You can use it to easily edit and customise video clips that are saved on your PS4 system.
- You can now copy video clips and screenshots that are saved on the PS4 system to a USB storage device.
- [Best HD] has been added as a supported resolution for broadcasts using Ustream or Twitch.
- You can now save your broadcasts to online services. For details, refer to the website for a particular online service.
- You can now select the length of video clips that will be saved. The length can be 1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes. This setting is located under [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Length of Video Clip].
- [Capture Gallery] has been added to the content area. You can use it to view screenshots and video clips that you saved.
- Screenshots and video clips will not be saved when you select [Broadcast Gameplay] in the menu for the Share feature. To save screenshots, select [Upload Screenshot] or press the Triangle button. To save video clips, select [Upload Video Clip] or press the Square button.
- You can now set the audience on Facebook for sharing your screenshots and video clips.
- [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording] is now turned on by default.
- The screen layout for when you are broadcasting has been improved.
- [Stop Broadcasting] is now under [Broadcast Settings].
- You can now share your real name and profile picture with the close PSN friends of your own close PSN friends. Your close friends are friends who have accepted your real name requests, or friends whose real name requests you have accepted. This setting is located under [PSN] > [Privacy Settings] > [Real Name and Profile Picture].
- You can now use the PlayStation App to set your profile picture. To use this feature, you must update the PlayStation App to version 1.70 or later.
- [From PlayStation] has been added under [Notifications]. You will receive notifications and other information from PSN.
- Services under [TV & Video] can now be started with voice recognition. Also, the following keywords have been added to the voice recognition feature: “Save video clip” and “Start video clip”.
- You can now sort trophies by their rarity level.
- [Noise Reduction] has been added as an option that is available during video playback.
- You can now use the touch pad to operate the software keyboard.
- You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.