New details about the PS4’s companion application on iOS and Android have been revealed, along side confirmation of a PS Vita version of the app. According to SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida, “It’s an application that anyone can download for free on iOS and Android devices.”
The primary purpose of the PlayStation App is to give you access to your PlayStation Network Account, the PS4 console’s social features, second-screen support for selected games, multiplayer activity and features, and the PlayStation Store.
The PS4 Companion App benefits
- Stay in touch with friends and family
- Compare trophies
- Watch your friends and family member’s recorded or live-streamed game sessions
- Stay up-to-date on the activity of your PSN friends list
- Stay current on PlayStation news
- Connect to your PlayStation profile to message friends and family via voice or text
- Receive game invites
- Access the PlayStation Store on the go and purchase PlayStation 4 games that will download to your PS4
- Second screen gameplay with supported games
- Interact with the PS4’s PlayRoom App
The application will also allow game developers to create mobile experiences for their PS4 games. Yoshida says the application will be “open to all PS4 developers to use.” The application is expected to launch in November, around the launch of the PS4.