PlayStation 3 Firmware 2.60 in now available to download. The new update is "designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities." This includes a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection, guest access to the PlayStation Store and DivX 3.11 support. The Photo Gallery application needs to be installed separately after updating your PlayStation 3. Guest access to the PlayStation Store will allow unregistered users to browse the store to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
- Gallery Application – delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface.
- Guest access to PlayStation Store ? This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
- DivX 3.11 support ? Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.
[Originally Posted On: 21/01/09 09:43 AM]
According to a few websites, Sony has sneaked some unannounced features into PS3 Firmware 2.60, these include:
- Blu-Ray Disc Theme Support
- HDD Data can be accessed and deleted in-game
- 3-D Secure Support
- Improved System Stability
‘Improved System Stability’ isn’t exactly a feature but it’s good to know Sony is improving the stability of the software. We’re not exactly sure what is meant by BD Disc Theme Support and 3-D Secure Support but it could be something Sony are adding for future use. As for ‘HDD Data can be accessed and deleted in-game’, we’re sure some data could already be deleted within a game. Sony hasn’t confirmed any of the above features so for now, they fall into the ‘Rumor’ category.