If you use Linux on your PlayStation 3 console, you will know that Yellow Dog Linux is one of a few Operating Systems that support the console. YDL has been updated to v6.1 providing new software packages and security updates to the Operating System. One of the most siginificant addition to the update is the use of the PS3 Video RAM. YDL now uses the 256MB of VRAM as main memory for temporary file storage and swap space. The update also updates the kernel, the Cell SDK, and Wireless configurations, among other changes.
The new version is currently available to YDL Enhanced Members only, but you can expect general public release in a few weeks time.
- Kernel 2.6.27
- GCC 4.1.2
- Cell SDK 3.1
- Firefox 3.0
- OpenOffice 2.3 (v3.0 coming to YDL.net Enhanced soon!)
- X.org 1.4.999 with xrandr 1.2.2
- Dramatically improved, automated wireless config.
- GUI configuration tool for YDL.net.
- Bluetooth support for the PS3 Sixaxis controller.
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center CellSs.
- ps3vram for fast, temp file storage or swap using PS3 video RAM.